What is washi tape?
Washi tapes are decorative tapes that are made out of rice paper. These tapes are available in colorful and unique designs. They are a good option for crafting and are widely used in craft projects, paper crafts, and other arts. Washi tapes are a common scrapbooking embellishment.
Washi tapes are also popularly known as Japanese masking tapes. Since these tapes originated in Japan under the name MT masking tape, they are often referred to as Japanese masking tapes.
Brief history of washi tapes
In 2006, a Japanese firm received an email from a small group of women. This group had used this industrial masking tape to develop and design their book. The email stated that the women would like to visit their unit before they used these tapes in their next book.
Initially, the owner ignored the email but later received a package from the group. This package contained vibrant and beautifully designed pages in masking tape. This amazed the owner, and he allowed the ladies to visit their unit. He was surprised to see the art was created by females.
The group encouraged the owner to create tapes in more colors and designs. Then, the owner received another book that had beautiful crafts with washi tape. 17 different artists had used masking tapes creatively to develop beautiful artwork.
The owner participated in a big art exhibition in Tokyo. The company introduced a lot of different colored tapes and took a dive to produce brilliant rolls that could be used for arts and crafts. With time, they introduced an increased number of fancy, cute, and functional designs.
The journey of washi tape designs sounds quite interesting, but it had a few roadblocks. For starters, choosing a proper hue was a tricky procedure. The consistency of the rice paper made it difficult to produce the right shade or tint. This was quite a challenge, especially with light colors. It is easy to acquire a dull hue but getting the same in light color was challenging.
Moreover, the production was time-consuming and laborious. The owner then produced tapes in colors that mirrored flowers in the field. Then, they planned to give standard color names and attractive packaging to it. This was important as a lot of craftsmen and artists use these for their preferred washi tape crafts.
Today, there are several companies producing these popular decorative tapes, and hence, they are now easily available in the market.
Latest news on washi tapes
Over the years, there has been a transition in the way these tapes are produced, designed, and used in crafts. Discussed here are some of the latest and trending ideas.
Several companies, art bloggers, and influencers create washi tape projects. This has led companies to arrange contests to encourage the use of these sets. Companies and artists arrange online contests to motivate participants to use it creatively in their art.
These contests have introduced diverse crafts and techniques to create washi tape art. The contests also brought like-minded artists together and tested their creative skills to get them to passionately work on their craft.
Furthermore, it gave an opportunity to artists to combine washi tape crafts with other creative elements and design and enhance the overall look of their artwork.
Therapeutic effect of washi tape art
Designing and creating washi tape art is quite therapeutic for a lot of people. It helps release stress and sparks creativity. As a beginner, you can use these tapes to decorate your journal, planner, books, notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
There are several washi tape uses, and crafters can learn how to use them for different designs and also at home. You can surf online for ideas and use them in your own unique way.
Different types of washi tapes will bring you new and impeccable crafting ideas. Initially, you might just cut these tapes in a simple way. With time, you will learn to cut them differently. This helps you to clear your mind and acquire a different perspective.
These tapes are vibrant and have beautiful patterns and designs. You will feel more relaxed and at peace after creating your DIYs with it.
Diverse washi tape uses
You can use various sets to create unique images, patterns, and designs on your bedroom or living room walls. Try searching online for washi tape on walls to get more ideas and inspiration. One of the easiest DIYs with this craft tape is to decorate the door of your cabinet, closet, or drawer with it. It will surely elevate any plain or boring-looking home appliance and furniture.
If your business card has a sharp edge, then you can add a soft border to it with washi tapes. At times, it is tricky to hang postcards and small photos, so a washi tape holder is a perfect solution to hold them in place. You can also add a whimsical spin behind the photo to give it a striking feature.
Bored of cliché gift wrappers and those basic envelopes? Give your tapes a different look than the traditional gift wrapper. A striking washi tape design can give your envelope a different effect. Your friends and family members are likely to remember your DIY gifts and envelopes for a very long time.
Different types of washi tapes
There is a variety of washi tapes available in the market. You can be as creative as you want when using them. However, there are certain washi tape patterns that would turn a simple-looking project into a stunner.
Here are a few different types that you can use on your next paper crafting and DIY project.
When you search online or go for in-store purchase of washi tapes, you will find a wide array of stripes. There are stripes with a white base, for example: pink and white, green and white, black and white, etc. Then, there are a few stripes with a black base: black and blue, black and green, black and yellow, etc.
Every combination shares a particular look and vibe. For instance, yellow and white provides a vibrant and happy vibe. Using these tapes in your living room can spread positive ambiance in the room.
Stripes are different from the plain tapes, yet give away a subtle unique presence. You can use them for your living room, journals, and various other spots.
Checkered washi tapes are quite unique in their own way. This is so because you can give an exceptional look to your boring old book with these tapes.
Buy washi tapes in your favorite checkered colors and use them as a border for your book or notebook. If you have a plain hard cover, then you can create stripes of these tapes and give it a different look. There are small and large checkered tapes; choose the one that goes with your overall design.
These craft tapes are slightly more special than the rest. Most people find it tricky to pick one from the amazing combination of cityscape tapes that are available online. A lot of people when in search of washi tape scrapbook designs prefer cityscape tapes.
This is because these tapes blend beautifully with your book and you are tempted to use the scrapbook. A glimpse at the cover will compel you to skim through the book.
A cityscape is an ideal option for all the wanderlusts and people who are fond of travelling. Cityscape tapes give a spectacular and splendid look. They are the right combination of color saturation, quality, and overall design. If you and your friends share the same love for travel, then you can gift them a scrapbook designed with different cityscape tapes.
Nature significantly influences the artwork of any artist. Flowers being one of the natural elements have a tremendous impact on the artworks. Flowers resemble peace, sincerity, and subtleness. Floral washi tapes are used in thank you cards, congratulatory cards, condolence cards, and many more.
You can also search for DIYs to learn how to use floral tapes in a unique manner. Yet another simple and striking way to use flowers washi tapes is to enhance the look of a simple gift bag. You can use the tape for the borders or to create a design at the center.
Often, you have to send cards and gifts to people that are not very close to you. These tapes work best for them. You neither appear to be formal nor informal and can easily convey your gesture.
You can combine 2-3 sets and create a special design and hang this design on your cupboard, bedroom wall, hallway, or any other suitable spot.
Cut black washi tape as your base and then stick a gilded ombré washi tape to it. You can add stickers and other embellishments to enhance its look.
Materials and manufacturing of the product
- Rubber blocks
- Japanese paper
How to make washi tapes
- Different types of rubbers (natural or synthetic) are used to apply on the back of the masking tape.
- This glue may appear to be stiff and thick.
- The glue is elastic in nature and can change its form with additional efforts.
- Large rubber blocks are sliced into thin pieces sized 5mm.
- Rubber blocks are now kneaded.
- Rubber blocks can now be easily dissolved in the solvent.
- Plastic resin is added to the blender while heating to create a good mix.
- It is necessary to blend different types of rubbers to acquire a strong masking tape.
- Once the glue is ready, it is used as an adhesive for the masking tape. (The modern processes include acrylic glue along with rubber-based glue.)
- The Japanese paper is set on the top of the machine.
- The machine applies glue on the back of the sheet.
- Simultaneously, a release agent will coat the front of the paper.
- A thick protective coat is applied so that the front of the tape doesn’t smudge.
- The roll is then pulled out swiftly.
- Individual rolls are gathered and placed in order.
- The rolls get delivered to the main factory where they are cut into smaller rolls.
Washi tape uses
There are several ways to use washi tapes. The basic uses for washi stickers are to decorate your home, gifts, books, journals, etc. You can use these tapes the way you want. Some of the washi tape usage are highlighted below.
- Decorate your door
- Prepare wall calendar
- Label your files and drinks
- Mark your schedule
- Bind your keys into a set
- Frame to your photos
- Design your phone cover
- Design scrapbook
- Helps you in nail art
- Create wall art or wall design
- Redesign your candle base
- Greeting cards
- Customize laptop cover
- Give a new pattern to your pencils
- Create lanterns
- Add tags to your belongings
- Design your table mat and coasters
- Napkin rings
Washi tapes in paper crafting
Washi tape crafts are all the rage now and for a good reason. Not only are they easy to use, these handy decorative tapes are super versatile and affordable too. This is why most paper crafting companies are now coming out with a plethora of designs and various sizes to suit every crafter’s need.
The best thing about using it is that you can simply tear it up, stick it on something, write on it, remove or reposition it. Because it is a low tack adhesive, it’s super easy to use and reuse it. You don’t need to worry about sticking it wrongly or changing your mind while using it too. That’s why DIYs with washi tapes have been so popular in the world of paper crafting, especially in card making and scrapbooking.
Here are some ideas and cards that you can try!
- Combine washi tapes with stencils and die sets - This blog post shows two ways to easily combine a few sets, stencils, and background dies to create one-of-a-kind handmade cards.
- Quick and simple card with washi tape - This card is super simple and quick that it will only take you less than 10 minutes to create it.
- Instant background with wide washi tapes - Wide tapes like these are super trendy and have become a staple in every crafter’s tool kit. You can easily and instantly create gorgeous backgrounds on cards, scrapbook pages, journals, etc. with these sets.
- Customize notebook or book covers - Personalize any notebook or book cover by adhering washi tapes on it. You can even create an art by mixing and matching a few sets, therefore taking your crafts to the next level.
- Easy gift tags or DIY bookmarks - Most wide washi tapes have gorgeous designs and patterns that you can easily cut out and use as decorations. That’s why they’re perfect for creating quick and easy gift tags or bookmarks.
Advantages of using washi tapes
Apart from multiple purpose of washi tapes, there are several other advantages of using them.
Check out some of the advantages before buying some:
- Easily available - These tapes are easily available almost anywhere and everywhere. You can order them online in a few clicks, and they will be delivered at your doorstep.
- Cost-effective - These tapes may cost slightly higher than the ordinary tapes. But they are highly functional and more durable than any average tape.
- Easy-to-use - You can design or redesign your entire room with these tapes. They are quite easy to use. You don’t have to be a professional to use them. You can be creative, and your hands won’t get dirty.
- Durable - Once you purchase these tapes, you don’t have to worry about them getting spoiled. You can easily place them in your drawer, and they will stay the same even after months.
Are you ready to buy washi tapes for your crafts?
Washi tapes can be your secret rescue agent. They can save you from any crafty or design disaster. If you are painting something and have stained the desk, then you can create a design with these tapes and, ta-da, you have a new desk!
These tapes are quite helpful and have multiple uses. You can learn about their usage and benefits only when you start using them regularly. So, what are you waiting for? Order your washi tape roll today!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Your Ultimate Guide to Paper Crafting
Click on each topic and subtopic to read more!