Scrapbooking is a great way to preserve memories and create something beautiful. But it can be intimidating, especially when you're just starting out. You may not know where to start or how to organize your scrapbook materials so they won't get lost in the shuffle. What supplies do you need for scrapbooking? How do you make a good scrapbook?
This blog post will answer your burning questions about this fun hobby and give you a few scrapbook ideas for beginners that will help you become more comfortable with the process of scrapbooking and give you some inspiration for what to do next. Let’s get started!
In this quick guide to scrapbooking, you will find the following:
- What Is a Scrapbook?
- How Do You Start a Scrapbook?
- What Supplies Do You Need for Scrapbooking?
- Simple and Easy Scrapbook Ideas
What Is a Scrapbook?
A scrapbook is a book with blank pages where you can stick photographs, movie tickets, newspaper or magazine clippings, and other ephemera. As time went by, it has evolved into something more easily customizable. People started using it to store their happy memories and keepsakes, mainly in the form of photographs and journaling.
The best thing about DIY scrapbooks is they can be personalized based on themes, colors, events, occasions, and even a specific person. Through this fun and meaningful activity, you can have a tangible reminder of special events and memories while unleashing your inner creative spirit! What is the main difference between a scrapbook album and a photo album? A photo album usually only has photographs pasted onto a pre-made album, often not customizable. The former has a layout, journaling, and other decorative elements.
How Do You Start a Scrapbook?
There are many different ways to document your memories into a scrapbook. You can use pictures or drawings, create collages or put stickers on your pages. It's all up to your imagination. When it comes down to it, there are no ‘strict’ rules when you make your own scrapbook - so, have fun with it!
Are you wondering how to make a scrapbook? Here are a few reminders!
- Gather your scrapbook supplies. This is a no-brainer! You can’t get started on anything without at least the basic materials.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. Mix and match embellishments, try new techniques, or do something different!
- Practice basic techniques like stamping, die-cutting, heat embossing, stenciling, etc.
- Try different layouts. There are a few basic scrapbook designs that you can quickly try if you’re a beginner. However, it’s important to keep on trying different ones to improve your scrapbooking skill.
- Make it your own! There’s a reason why it’s called a DIY scrapbook album. You have to make it your own! Add some personal touches and put your personality into it.
- If you are lacking some creative mojo you can also check out other sources of scrapbook ideas. Such as blog posts, watching how-to YouTube videos, searching for scrapbook ideas on Instagram and Pinterest.
If you’re still in doubt, see how easy it is to get started with scrapbooking here!
What Supplies Do You Need for Scrapbooking?
You’re not the only one who gets overwhelmed when they walk down the scrapbooking aisle at their favorite arts and crafts store. There are so many options to choose from, all with different prices and features. It can be challenging to decide what scrapbook materials you’ll need for scrapbooking, especially if you're just starting out. The good news is, this blog post will help you figure it out! Here are 8 basic supplies to help you get started.
1. Paper - A good scrapbook paper should be able to stand the test of time. Remember, you’d want your scrapbook album to last for a long time, maybe even hand it down from generation to generation. Get a high-quality paper that is acid-free and lignin-free. Scrapbookers often use white cardstock paper or colorful patterned paper. Whatever you choose to use, make sure the quality is good, and it is durable.
2. Adhesives - Liquid glue, glue tape, double-sided tape, foam adhesives, and more! There are plenty of scrapbook adhesives that you can choose from. What you need to remember here is that not all glue is created equal. Choose whatever works best for you and your project.
3. Scissors - It goes without saying that you need a good pair of scissors. You want something that is a cut above the rest, pun intended. It doesn’t need to be fancy, but it needs to do the job well. You’ll be cutting and trimming a lot when you make your own scrapbook, so this is a crucial and handy tool.
4. Paper Trimmer - Just like scissors, investing in a good quality paper trimmer is essential. It doesn’t just give you a clean and straight cut; it also makes life easier for you. Unless you can precisely cut a straight line with just your scissors, you need to get yourself a paper trimmer.
5. Embellishment - This is one of the most fun and colorful scrapbook materials in your kit. It allows you to get creative and really elevate your page. Here are a few must-try embellishments:
- Cardstock die-cuts
- 3D stickers
- Wood veneers
- Epoxy buttons
6. Photographs - This is another no-brainer. Unless you’re going for something non-traditional or different, then you’re going to need to print out those beloved photographs on your phone or computer. Most scrapbookers invest in their very own decent photo printer and photo paper. This will be more cost-efficient instead of having your photographs printed in a shop.
7. Washi Tape - Although this might not be considered an essential supply when you make your own scrapbook, it’s a handy little tool. Wide washi tapes can help you add an instant background to your page, while slim ones can help you decorate or add fun elements.
8. Pens - While most scrapbookers opt for typing and printing out the “journaling” section of their DIY scrapbook, nothing screams “personal” than a handwritten note. Pens are not just for writing about the photograph on your page. You can also use it to decorate it or highlight certain elements. There’s a variety of pens that you can use for your scrapbook album.
- Fine liner pen
- Metallic pen
- Gel pen
- Brush pen
Find more essential tools for scrapbooking here!
Here are some optional or additional scrapbook materials that you can add to your stash once you’re ready to try other techniques and challenge yourself. These supplies will also help elevate your scrapbook design and add more interest to your page.
- Embossing Folders
- Coloring Mediums
Simple and Easy Scrapbook Ideas
If you’re a beginner who’s been wondering how to make a scrapbook, we’ve handpicked a few inspirations from our very own designers. We hope these easy scrapbook ideas can help jumpstart your creative journey!
1. Use washi tapes. Our wide washi tapes are not just pretty; they’re convenient for quick and easy scrapbook designs too. Whether you use them as an alternative patterned paper, a background, or to create your own floral die-cuts, these tapes got you covered!
2. Use creative cutouts. With creative cutouts, creating a pattern or a design on your page is easy peasy. The best thing about them is that you can customize them too! Add color to them with washi tape, inks, alcohol markers, watercolors, etc.
3. Customize your paper. Patterned paper packs are excellent tools in scrapbooking. However, what do you do when you run out? Get out your stamps and inks and start making your own patterned paper! You can choose any design, pattern, or color! Washi tapes are also great for creating custom scrapbook paper.
4. Use stencils. If you’re creating a scrapbook page and you’re pressed for time, stencils will be your go-to! Use them with dye inks, pigment inks, ink sprays, and even watercolors. Stencils are perfect for quick, easy, and instant backgrounds on your page. The video below will show you how to easily add patterns and colors using your favorite stencils.
5. Use patterned paper and embellishments. If you’re looking for simple scrapbook ideas, this is a must-try. All you need are beautiful patterned papers and embellishments. Use the patterned paper as your background, create a design with the embellishments, and add your photo! Easy peasy!
6. Use a scrapbook kit. A scrapbook kit has everything you need to get started! Paper, ephemera, stickers, and other embellishments - all you’ll need are your photos and adhesives. This is one of the best scrapbook ideas for beginners. Check out the unboxing video below to see one of Altenew’s bestselling scrapbook kits.
It's time to unleash your inner creativity and get started with scrapbooking. Whether you're looking for easy scrapbook ideas or just want to find out what supplies are necessary, we've got it all covered here! These resources will help you get started and give you ideas next time you want to create something special with paper and glue. If this post has inspired you to pursue this hobby, make sure to check out our All About Crafting page, where we provide more scrapbook tips and hacks on how to get started.