Are you looking for the best scrapbooking supplies? Have you decided to take up scrapbooking but have no idea where and how to start? This fun and cheap way of documenting precious memories and life’s milestones is one of the most rewarding activities ever. But first, you need to figure out which supplies and tools you’ll need to get started!
In this 10-minute read, you’ll learn everything you need to know about scrapbook albums, where to buy them, and the 8 scrapbook essentials that you must have in your kit!
- What is a scrapbook?
- Is scrapbooking still popular in 2021?
What scrapbooking supplies do I need?
Paper (Cardstock paper, Patterned paper), Glue, Scissors / Paper Trimmer, Stamps and Inks, Stencils, Washi Tapes, Embellishments, Pens
- What store sells scrapbooks?
- What is the best online scrapbooking site?
What Is a Scrapbook?
A scrapbook is defined as a book with blank pages for sticking photos, ephemera, embellishments, and other decorative items. Basically, it is a tangible reminder of all your joyful memories, along with keepsakes that you can customize according to your preferences. You can easily personalize your album based on themes, colors, events, occasions, and even a specific person. This delightful and meaningful activity involves journaling, collecting memorabilia, storing photos and other souvenirs.
The main difference between a scrapbook album and a photo album is the former has a layout that can be customized and decorated.
Is Scrapbooking Still Popular In 2021?
Believe it or not, scrapbooking is still quite trendy and has maintained its popularity among DIY enthusiasts and crafters. Despite everything being modern and digital, some people still prefer getting crafty and using their hands to create something.
A 2012 study by the Hobby and Craft Association (now AFCI) found that in the United States alone, “there were roughly 25 million active scrapbookers, supported by over 3,000 scrapbooking stores.” That number has grown since then. In addition to that, this $2.5 billion industry has proven and established its presence in creative industry events and conventions, such as AFCI’s 2019 Creativation Show.
This hobby has come a long way since its humble beginnings back in the 1800s. From commonplace albums and friendship albums all the way to the advent of modern scrapbook albums, the evolution of this exciting pastime has been colorful and inspiring.
Check out this ultimate guide for more information about scrapbooking!
What Scrapbooking Supplies Do I Need?
Finding the best scrapbooking supplies is essential in your scrapbooking journey. With the wide range of supplies and tools available, it could get overwhelming (and even frustrating!), especially for beginners. Before you start hoarding or think about investing in any supply, make sure to add these 8 basic scrapbook essentials to your list!
1. Paper - Paper is your blank canvas. Without this, your layout, photos, and decorations won’t come to life. That’s why it’s crucial to choose high-quality and durable paper. Since the point of scrapbooking is to “preserve photos and memories,” you need an acid-free and lignin-free paper that will last a long time. Two types of paper commonly used by scrapbookers are:
a. Cardstock paper - This is a type of paper that is thicker, heavier, and sturdier than regular or standard paper. It is heavy-duty and can absorb liquid, making it ideal for various coloring mediums such as watercolors, inks, and alcohol markers. Cardstock also comes in different sizes, with 12” x 12” being the most popular among scrappers. It also comes in a wide range of colors and textures. Cardstock paper can be used as a base or to matte photos and other elements.
b. Patterned paper - Like cardstock, this is a heavier, thicker, and more durable type of paper. It comes in a range of designs, patterns, textures, sizes, and colors. Most patterned paper designs are great for quick and instant backgrounds and can be cut out and used as embellishments. If you’re looking for cheap scrapbook supplies, try collecting patterned paper pads! It’s also perfect for adding color to die-cuts and matting photos.
2. Glue - The best glue for scrapbooking is what works best for you. Remember, not all glue is created equal. You have to find out which one suits your needs and preferences. For instance, scrappers prefer glue tape or tape runner if they want something permanent, sticky, and easy to use. Liquid glue or glue pen is an ideal scrapbook glue when you use lots of tiny and intricate embellishments and decorations. Do you want to add dimension and depth? Go for foam tape or double-sided adhesives!
3. Scissors / Paper Trimmer - If you’re going to start scrapbooking, or any kind of arts and crafts, you must have a decent and high-quality pair of scissors. There’s a lot of cutting involved in this DIY hobby. You must trim your paper or cardstock to the correct size, fussy cut embellishments, and die-cut stamped images. Investing in a good paper trimmer is also crucial for advanced scrappers.
4. Stamps and Inks - Imagine staring at a blank scrapbook page with no idea where to start. Clear stamps are game-changers in the world of arts and crafts. Having a few stamps on hand can help spark your creativity, especially when you’re just starting. You can use the stamp’s design, pattern, or theme to get started. It goes without saying that you need to invest in some primary ink colors too. Dye inks and clear stamps are like peanut butter and jelly. Together, they create something incredible.
5. Stencils - If you’re on the lookout for cheap scrapbook supplies, stencils are the way to go! These are relatively inexpensive, compared to other tools, and durable. Since these are reusable, you don’t need to replace them, and they can last for a long time. The wide range of designs and patterns can help you add an instant background or decoration to a blank scrapbook page. The good thing about stencils is that you can use them with various coloring mediums and different techniques.
6. Washi Tapes - Another total game-changer in scrapbooking is washi tape. Initially, these cute decorative tapes were used in journaling, particularly bullet journaling. As time went by, they caught the attention of card makers and scrapbookers. With wide washi tapes, you can add an instant background on white cardstock paper. The beautiful designs and patterns on washi tapes can also be cut out and used as embellishments. This is definitely one of the best scrapbooking supplies ever!
7. Embellishments - These are scrapbook accessories such as stickers, cardstock die-cuts, 3D stickers, ephemera, sequins, wood veneers, epoxy buttons, and more! Embellishments can also be anything that can elevate your page’s design, so it doesn’t need to come from a store. Be creative and find some everyday items around you, such as colorful thread, buttons, brads, ribbons, etc. You can turn a blank scrapbook page into unique artwork with just a handful of these embellishments.
8. Pens - Last but definitely not least are fine liner pens! Yes, you need a few good-quality pens. You’d want to use something acid-free and high-quality to ensure that your handwriting will last long. A pen is used to write notes, titles, or sub-titles on your pages. Once you’ve become more comfortable with your journaling, you can add a few colorful gel pens to your kit. These will add more color and interest to your page.
Find more best sellers in scrapbooking tools!
What Store Sells Scrapbooks?
Finding a store that sells scrapbooks and other cheap scrapbook supplies isn’t that hard, especially in this day and age. For starters, depending on your location, you might find a Hobby Lobby or Michael’s store in your area. Chances are, there are also a handful of local and small scrapbooking stores around you.
What is the best online scrapbooking site? The best online scrapbooking site is the one that fits your needs and budget! Let’s face it; not all scrapbookers can spend a ton of money on supplies. We all want some good deals on our favorite scrapbook accessories. Some of the most popular scrapbooking stores are:
- Joann's Fabric and Craft Store
- Altenew - Yes! We do have a wide range of beautiful, trendy, and cheap scrapbook supplies available.
- Simon Says Stamp
- Paper Wishes
Discover must-have tools needed for scrapbooking!
Finding the best scrapbook accessories and supplies is only half the battle. You need to learn some basic paper crafting skills and techniques and discover ideas and inspiration to get started. While looking for the best scrapbooking supplies that won’t break the bank is the priority, you also need to consider the quality of the products. To help preserve your projects, always make sure that you purchase your supplies from reputable companies, both offline and online.
Your Ultimate Guide to Paper Crafting
Click on each topic and subtopic to read more!
- Paper Crafting Tools: Essential Craft Items and Tools
- Basic Paper Crafting Tools Every Crafter Should Have
- Organize Craft Supplies and Tools Easily With These Hacks!
- Different Types of Paper Crafting Tools and Their Purpose
- How to Organize Markers, Pens, and Pencils: A Comprehensive Guide
- The Ultimate Guide on How to Clean and Store Craft Supplies