Last Updated: July 14, 2022
Paper crafting is a fun and easy way to show your creative side. All you need is some paper, a few simple supplies, and a little bit of imagination! In this article, we will share some easy ways to do paper crafting that are perfect for beginners. So, whether you’re looking for a new hobby or just want to try something different, give paper crafting a try!
What Are Some Easy Ways to Make Paper Crafts?
One of the easiest ways to make paper crafts is by folding paper into different shapes (think of paper airplanes and paper flowers). Or, you can cut out different shapes from construction paper and glue them together to make a collage.
Another easy way to do paper crafting is by using templates. You can find free printable templates online for many different paper crafts, such as paper dolls, cardboard houses, and paper animals. Just print out the template, trace it onto your paper, and cut it out. Then you can color or decorate it however you like!
If you want to get a little more creative, you can try making origami. This is the Japanese art of paper folding, and there are many different projects you can try, from simple to complex. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to make all sorts of cool things out of paper!
How to Make a Simple Paper Craft Project
Making paper crafts is a fun and easy way to spend an afternoon, and you can make some really adorable projects with just a few basic supplies - some of them can even be found in your own home. Here’s a quick guide on paper crafting for beginners.
1. DIY Photo Frame - Most DIY projects don’t require more than a handful of craft supplies. Our Guest Designer Pam’s DIY photo frame features floral stamps and dies, cardstock, and inks. This isn’t just an easy way to do paper crafting, it’s also great if you want to personalize a gift!
2. DIY Felt Flower Accents - With the right papercraft supplies and tools, you can create one-of-a-kind projects that will impress anyone. For instance, our Guest Designer, Nandini only used felt, floral layering dies, and a die-cutting machine to upscale her clutch. You can also use patterned paper or colored cardstock if you don’t have felt. This is definitely the easiest paper crafting for beginners.
3. DIY Mixed Media Canvas - Speaking of die-cutting… Guest Designer Nicole’s DIY mixed media canvas was made from recycled tissue paper, floral dies, and a die-cutting machine! All of the flowers for this beautiful 5×7 canvas are from recycled materials! Her recent parcel from Altenew includes some gorgeous black and gold tissue paper, giving her this quick and easy way to do paper crafting.
4. DIY Tags - Who doesn’t love adorable little tags? Whether you use them as a gift tag, a bookmark, or a way to label things, this is one of the simplest paper crafting projects you can make. Guest Designer Karen had always wanted to create her own shimmery rainbow-hued tag set. By creating her own glitter cardstock (using shimmery and metallic ink sprays) she added a subtle sparkle to her easy DIY tags!
5. DIY Mini Gift Bags - Sometimes you’re in need of that perfect little gift bag and just can’t seem to find one. Why don’t you create your own? Our Guest Designer Nancy is always trying new techniques and repurposing stamps and supplies that she has. And, of course, she can’t pass up pretty papers. For her DIY mini gift bag project, she only used a single sheet of 12” x 12” scrapbook paper and a floral layering stencil set.
When it comes to paper crafting for beginners, it’s ideal to start with simple projects like paper flowers or origami. Once you've mastered the basic techniques, you can move on to intermediate or more complex designs like handmade cards, scrapbook layouts, and DIY home decor. With a little practice, you'll be able to instantly whip up beautiful paper crafts that friends and family will surely admire.
It goes without saying that you need paper in every type of paper crafting project. Whether it’s plain white cardstock, patterned paper, or specialty paper - you will need high-quality paper and cardstock to create paper crafting projects that will last long.
A good ol’ pair of scissors is one of those DIY craft supplies that everyone has lying around in their home. Scissors help cut cardstock, fussy cut stamped images (if you don’t have the matching dies), cut embellishments, make DIY ephemera, trim other decorative pieces, and simply cut overhanging bits and pieces.
Unless you’re just making origami, adhesives are must-have craft supplies. Remember to choose the one that fits your crafting needs. Not all adhesives are created equal, so you’re going to have to do your research and find one that will work best for your handmade cards, scrapbook pages, art journals, or any other paper crafting projects.
Stickers, washi tapes, sequins, glitter, beads, gems, die-cuts, buttons, ribbons, etc. The possibilities are endless when it comes to embellishments. It’s important to have a few basics when you’re starting out, but make sure not to overwhelm yourself with a ton of embellishments that you might not even use at all.
How to Store Your Papercraft Supplies
If you're like most crafters, you have a ton of papercraft supplies and not enough storage space! Here are a few tips on how to store your supplies so they're easy to find and use.
- Use boxes or bins: This is probably the easiest way to store your supplies. Just pick some boxes or bins that fit your needs and start filling them up!
- Use a papercraft organizer: These are great for organizing small supplies like beads, buttons, and sequins.
- Use wall space: If you have some extra wall space, you can use it to store your papercraft supplies. Hang hooks or racks and use them to store your supplies.
- Use furniture: If you have a dresser or a nightstand, you can use it to store your papercraft supplies. Just put some boxes or bins on top of the furniture and you're good to go!
- Get creative: There are endless possibilities when it comes to storing your papercraft supplies. Get creative and find a way that works best for you!
Create Your Own Paper Crafts Today!
Paper crafting can be a fun, inexpensive way to spend your free time. It’s also a great activity for family, friends, and even the little ones! In this article, we shared four easy paper crafts that you can make at home using just paper, glue, and a few other basic craft supplies. We hope you enjoyed the project ideas here and give them a try. No matter what your skill level, there’s a papercraft that’s perfect for you. So grab some paper and get started today!
Expand your paper crafting knowledge! Drop by our All About Crafting page to get more crafting tips, tricks, fun facts, and trivia!
In This Article
More Crafty Reads & Inspirations
Acrylic Markers vs Alcohol Markers: Which Gives the Best Results?
10 Small Craft Room Ideas and Tips to Make Your Space Look Bigger
8 Ways to Use Paint-by-Number Sheets in Your Paper Crafts!
Creative Hot Foiling Ideas with NEW Hot Foil Rolls
11 Creative Card Ideas with Craft Gems
Get Creative with Altenew's Sweet Jasmine 5-in-1 Bundle - A Must-Have!
10 Tips and Tricks on How to Master Your Craft Knife!
14 Easy Valentine's Day Card Ideas You Can Make in Minutes!
How to Use Gems in Card Making (12 Easy Ideas!)
Crafting Essentials: Finding the Perfect Craft Knife for Card Making