World Art Day 2022 is just around the corner! This is a special day to celebrate all things art. If you're a crafter, this is the perfect opportunity to get creative and try some new art techniques or refresh old ones. There are endless possibilities for fun and easy crafting projects, from layered stamping and die-cutting to watercoloring and 3D embossing. So whether you're into card making, scrapbooking, journaling, or simply doodling on paper, we've got some ideas to inspire you on World Art Day. Plus, we’re answering all your burning questions about this exciting holiday!
What Is World Art Day?
World Art Day is an annual event celebrated by artists and art lovers everywhere. This day celebrates everything art-related and encourages people to share their creativity.
Art encompasses a wide range of activities - from graphic design and fashion design to papercraft and animation. Some people make a living through their art, while others merely enjoy it as a hobby. It doesn’t matter what kind of art you’re into; what matters is you’re enjoying the creative process. Of course, one person’s art might not be your cup of tea, but on World Art Day, let’s celebrate the many different art forms worldwide and remember that art is a form of self-expression.
When Is World Art Day 2022?
World Art Day is on April 15, 2022. According to UNESCO, this day is “a celebration to promote the development, diffusion, and enjoyment of art.” There are a ton of World Art Day activities that you can easily do from the comfort of your own home. The good news is, we’re sharing some quick and easy arts and crafts ideas here, so keep on reading!
Where was World Art Day founded?
World Art Day was founded by the International Association of Art (IAA/AIAP) in collaboration with the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). While there is no specific place or city where it was first celebrated, Los Angeles City promotes the event every year through various festivities.
Art doesn’t just foster creativity and innovation; it also encourages cultural diversity. According to UNESCO, art plays an essential role in sharing knowledge and encouraging curiosity and dialogue. These qualities will remain if “we continue to support environments where artists and artistic freedom are promoted and protected.”
When was the first World Art Day?
The first-ever World Art Day was celebrated back in 2012. IAA/AIAP and UNESCO chose the 15th of April since it is the birthday of the most famous artist in history - Leonardo da Vinci! Honoring da Vinci through this day is also a way of celebrating what he stands for - a symbol of peace, freedom of expression, tolerance, and brotherhood.
Why Is World Art Day Celebrated?
The availability of a wide variety of World Art Day activities around the globe is a testament to the fact that art is a universal form of expression. By celebrating this day, we don’t just celebrate artists and their work; we also strengthen the bond between art and society by highlighting how artists contribute to diversity and sustainability.
On World Art Day 2022, UNESCO urges people - artists and non-artists alike - to participate in various activities that stimulate their artistic freedom and creativity, such as debates, conferences, workshops, cultural events, and presentations or exhibitions.
How to Celebrate World Art Day
Art enthusiasts around the world celebrate World Art Day by honoring all forms of art, from painting and sculpting to photography and paper crafting. If you're a paper crafter, scrapbooker, or card maker, this is your chance to get creative and learn more about the art world. Here are some ideas on how to celebrate World Art Day 2022 with your crafty projects.
World Art Day Activities for Paper Crafters
1. Create a 12x12 scrapbook layout using wide washi tapes and other ephemera. Washi tapes are super fun and easy to use; you can even do this with the little ones. Here’s a scrapbook layout idea by Reiko.
2. Memory-keeping layouts and journals are all the rage, and this beginner-friendly idea by Nathalie will help you get started!
3. Card making is such a fun and rewarding activity that anyone - even your kids - can do! This birthday card idea by Laurie is so adorable and yummy; you’ll indeed have so much fun creating it.
4. Don’t have time to do stamping, die-cutting, and other World Art Day activities? We’ve got something super easy for you! Color your stress away with a page from our Coloring Book and some alcohol markers! Here are some marker coloring tips from Reiko.
5. If you’re into art journaling but want something quick and easy, we recommend trying Tania's cool and colorful retro art journal idea!
6. Hit two birds with one stone by doing something artsy and crafty at the same time! Our Altenew Educator Karen shows a super easy way to personalize your gift wrapping in this DIY project!
7. Creative dies are handy to have, especially when you’re in need of quick crafting projects. Maryam’s DIY home decor will show you how to have fun with your dies on World Art Day 2022!
8. For those exploring something more intermediate, try creating chalkboard art! Chalkboard Art is a text-heavy art, emphasizing hand-drawn designs & lettering using chalk. Altenew Educator Anna repurposed an old clipboard made from thick chipboard for her art project. Check out her project here!
9. Are you into sewing? We’ve got a little something for you too! Fabric crafts don’t always require sewing, so you don’t need to worry about not knowing how to sew. We’ve recently released fat quarter fabric that is gorgeous and versatile enough for a wide range of art and craft projects such as a no-sew throw pillow, coin purse, eco bag, and a DIY journal notebook cover like Nathalie’s!
10. Take a page out of our Watercolor Coloring Book, get your favorite watercolor sets out, and start coloring away! Sometimes, something as simple as coloring an image can do wonders for your creativity and mental and emotional health. Let Erum inspire you with her fantastic coloring skills!
Celebrate World Art Day 2022 with friends and family!
There you have it! These World Art Day activities are only a few exciting ideas that you can easily try by yourself, with a partner, friends, or the whole family! Of course, you don’t need to limit yourself to these projects. Explore other ways to unleash the inner artist in you, such as creative writing, singing, dancing, sketching or drawing, taking photographs, watching art-themed movies, or even visiting an art museum. Don’t forget to share your artistic and crafty creations on social media with #WorldArtDay; we’d love to see them! Happy World Art Day!
Get more paper crafting inspiration, ideas, and tips on our All About Crafting page and start creating!