Embossing folders are fun to add texture and interest to your paper crafting projects. But with so many designs available, it can be tough to decide which folders to buy. Not to mention what to do with them! They come in an endless variety of designs and textures you can create with. So to help you out, we've put together a list of 20 unique embossing folder designs.
Whether you're looking for floral designs or geometric patterns, you're sure to find something that inspires you!
8 Card Ideas Using Embossing Folders
Below you’ll find easy, doable DIY cards to make using embossing folders of different styles. Most of them require only two steps, and the rest is up to your imagination!
This peach to tangerine card looks sophisticated with the ombre colors. Yet, our designer Therese made the background with just two easy steps!
- First, she created the ombre effect by ink blending on colors from the Martian Terrain Crisp Dye Ink Oval Set.
- Then, she used the Angled Mosaic 3D Embossing Folder to create the pattern.
This embossing folder brings so much depth and makes it look like each shape has been individually colored. In reality, it’s just two steps! Add a die cut floral design to top it off, and a few enamel dots to complete the card.
If there isn’t any woodgrain cardstock lying around your crafting studio, use an embossing folder to create one.
- Run the Deck Planks 3D Embossing Folder through a die-cutting machine to get the wooden texture.
- Then color it with the Milk Chocolate Crisp Dye Ink to emphasize the texture more. Lightly blend using an ink blending tool.
You can create other woodgrain cardstock with similar embossing folder designs. You can also try die-cutting your DIY textured cards into shapes of trees and doors to use for other crafting projects like miniatures and scrapbooks.
Create a DIY chocolate bar that looks good enough to be eaten! To do this, follow the steps below.
- Use a brown cardstock and emboss it using the Mod Squares 3D Embossing Folder.
- Then fold along the edges of the cardstock to create the size you want.
You can add real foil to imitate the packaging of a chocolate bar, just like how Lydia did. Or create more chocolate bars of different sizes to layer onto the card as you please.
Add color to your embossed background frame using inks, ink sprays, or liquid watercolors! You can play around with different colors. But if you want a perfectly coordinated color palette, learn a few tips from Jaycee in this video.
Patterns on patterns don’t have to be done the same way. A unique take from Virginia would be to layer them using different crafting styles.
- First, she stamped a floral, bohemian pattern using contrasting colors.
- Then she used the Folk Art Motif 3D Embossing Folder to add the second layer of patterns!
This style fits the bohemian theme with its love for patterns and intricate motifs. Try it with patterned paper and see how all the patterned layers turn out!
She wanted to provide peaks and valleys for the paint to pool in, in order to dry a little darker in some of the low spots. And as you can see, it turned out great by creating low-effort shadows and shades!
Creating ornamental patterns can be tedious. It takes a lot of patience too! However, with 3D embossing folders, you can quickly and instantly recreate any ornamental or intricate pattern!
- Take the Ornamental Feature 3D Embossing Folder and run it centerfold on your die-cutting machine.
- Then color it with two ink colors, just as Virginia did.
If you like to imitate textures like our designer Svitlana, the Organic Linen 3D Embossing Folder is an excellent addition to your collection.
She embedded the design onto a slimline-sized card to create a textured jean-like background. Try other colors aside from Navy Blue, and you’ll be surprised what other fabric objects you’ll imitate!
Create Your First Folder Embossed Card Today
Ready to try your hand at embossing folders? It’s easier than you think, and the results are worth it. Just choose one of our eight card ideas and check out their related blog posts to get started. We hope you’ve found this post helpful as you get started with this fun and unique way of adding extra dimension to your cards.
If you want to take your cards up a notch, check out our All About Crafting page for more unique embossing folders designs to try!