Top 10 Scrapbooking Supply List for Beginners
If you're new to scrapbooking, the world of scrapbook supplies and materials can be a little daunting. There are so many options available, how do you know which ones to choose or where to buy scrapbooking supplies? What are the best scrapbooking supplies for beginners?
In this article, we'll take a look at some of the basic supplies that every scrapper should have in their stash. From paper and washi tapes to stickers and ephemera, we'll help you choose the best supplies for your scrapbooking projects.
Scrapbooking Supplies for Beginners
Top 10 Scrapbook Supply List
Scrapbooking is a popular hobby that allows people to document and preserve their memories in a creative way. Scrapbooking can be done with photos, memorabilia, and other items that represent cherished memories. In order to get started in scrapbooking, you will need some basic scrapbook supplies.
Choosing the Right Scrapbook Supplies
Not only does scrapbooking allow you to creatively display photos and memorabilia, but it also gives you the opportunity to tell a story about your life. If you’re new to scrapbooking, the process of choosing the right supplies can be daunting. But don’t worry – we’re here to help!
We’re sharing the top 10 scrapbooking supplies for beginners and providing some tips on where to buy scrapbooking supplies online, and how to choose the right supplies for your needs.
1. Paper - Paper is the foundation of any scrapbook layout. Without it, there would be no place to stick your photos or embellishments! When choosing paper for your layouts, think about the theme of your project and the colors you want to use.
Cheerful Meadow 6x6 Paper Pack
While patterned paper is a great way to elevate a scrapbook page, solid-colored cardstock can be used as a base or as an accent layer. You can also find specialty paper like woodgrain, vellum, parchment, etc. There are so many different types, colors, and sizes of paper to choose from, so find some that you like and will work with your photos.
Colored Cardstock Paper for Scrapbooking
2. Cardstock - This is a heavier-weight paper that is great for matting photos or using as a base for your pages. 12x12 white cardstock is the go-to for most scrappers since it provides a lot of space for photos, journaling, and other elements. For mess-free sparkly elements, glitter cardstock is the way to go. There are also gradient cardstock sets that coordinate with inks - making it easier to go with a color palette.
3. Ephemera - This includes things like tickets, postcards, notes, receipts, dried flowers, and other small memorabilia that you want to include in your scrapbook. Ephemera are the little details that help bring your stories to life. Other mementos can be used to add dimension and personality to your pages. When selecting ephemera for your scrapbook, look for items that complement the theme of your project.
4. Stickers - Stickers are excellent scrapbooking supplies that add color, interest, and some fun to your pages. There are endless possibilities when it comes to what you can use them for. From word art to florals, there's a sticker out there for every scrapbooking project. When using stickers in your scrapbook, be sure to choose ones that are acid-free and lignin-free to ensure they won't damage your photos.
5. Washi tapes - This decorative tape is perfect for adding borders or for embellishing your scrapbook pages. Washi tape is a must-have for any crafter, and it's perfect for scrapbooking! This versatile low-tack tape is one of the best scrapbooking supplies in your stash. When choosing washi tape for your projects, look for tapes that are repositionable and removable to make sure they won't damage your photos or paper.
Floral Henna Stamp & Die & Stencil Bundle
6. Stamps - Stamps can be used for decorating, journaling, or even creating your own background patterns. Whether you use them to create backgrounds or to accentuate photos, stamps can add tons of personality to your pages. When choosing stamps for your scrapbook, be sure to select ones that are acid-free and lignin-free to prevent them from damaging your photos.
Happy Dreams Stamp and Die Bundle
7. Inks - Inks can be used to add color and interest to your pages. Whether it’s pigment inks or dye inks, these are handy to have for various techniques. Inks are a must-have for any crafter, and they're perfect for adding color and interest to any layout. You can use inks to create backgrounds or highlight photos, and they can add tons of personality to your scrapbook layouts. When choosing inks for your scrapbook, be sure to select ones that are acid-free and archival to prevent them from damaging your pages.
Reflection Collection Epoxy Buttons & Wood Veneer Bundle
8. Embellishments - This could include things like buttons, ribbons, sequins, glitter, enamel dots, beads, twine, etc. that you can use to further decorate your pages. Although these are optional for some scrappers, we believe that embellishments can bring interest and movement to even the most basic scrapbook layout. Here are a few must-try embellishments:
Double-Sided Adhesive Sheets (10 sheets/set)
9. Adhesives - You’ll need some good-quality adhesives to make sure your photos and other elements stay in place. Choose acid-free and lignin-free scrapbook adhesives to avoid yellowing of the pages. Find out all about the best scrapbooking adhesives in this blog post.
10. Scrapbook Album - Once you’ve gathered all of your scrapbook supplies, you’ll need a place to store your scrapbook pages. Albums come in a variety of sizes and styles, so choose one that will fit all of your pages. You may also DIY your scrapbook album or decorate the scrapbook cover with stamps, dies, and washi tapes.
With these 10 basic scrapbooking supplies, you’ll be well on your way to creating beautiful scrapbook pages that you’ll cherish for years to come. With these basic supplies in your stash, you'll be ready to take on any scrapbooking project.
Enjoy the Ride 12x12 Paper Pack
What are the best scrapbooking supplies for beginners?
Patterned scrapbook paper (or designer paper), washi tapes, and other embellishments (enamel dots, sequins, glitter, etc.) are some of the must-have scrapbook supplies for beginners.
Beginner scrapbookers often don’t know where to start when it comes to scrapbooking supplies. There’s a tendency to buy (or hoard) more supplies than necessary. If you are on a budget, you need to be more mindful of what you actually need versus what is popular or trendy.
Tips for scrapbooking beginners
- Start simple. Don't try to recreate an intricate scrapbook layout on your first try. Stick to something basic, like a scrapbook page with just photos and simple embellishments.
- Choose quality over quantity. It's better to have a few high-quality scrapbook supplies than a bunch of cheap, low-quality ones. Shop the best scrapbook supplies online!
- Consider your budget. Scrapbooking can be expensive, so it's important to set a budget and stick to it.
- DIY it! Saw a gorgeous patterned paper but it’s way too pricey? Create your own patterned paper!
- Ask for advice. If you're unsure about what scrapbook supplies to buy, join forums, groups, or communities on social media. The paper crafting community, in general, is full of kind, welcoming, and uber-helpful people!
Incredible Stamp & Die & Mask Stencil Bundle
Find the Best Scrapbook Supplies Online
We hope you found our top 10 best scrapbook supply list helpful. If you’re just starting out in scrapbooking, make sure to stock up on some of the basics in our list of scrapbooking supplies, and don't forget to have fun! Scrapbooking is supposed to be enjoyable and memorable, so make sure you choose scrapbook supplies that suit your personal style and taste.
Are you up for more quick reads? Learn all about the history of scrapbooking, discover some must-try scrapbook techniques, or find out the 5 scrapbooking mistakes to avoid.
Leave a comment