Come together to celebrate the art of scrapbooking on National Scrapbook Day 2022!
A love for memories and craftsmanship, combined with unlimited creativity, make this day so special. For those who enjoy collecting keepsakes, photos, or other mementos, there really isn't a better way to celebrate National Scrapbooking Day than by creating a scrapbook page.
To make things more exciting, we’ve put together a list of simple scrapbooking techniques that you can easily try. Whether you’re a beginner, an experienced scrapper, or someone who has yet to learn how to make a scrapbook, we guarantee you’ll find something fresh, fun, and unique in this list.
Get started on your International Scrapbook Day projects today!
What Is National Scrapbook Day?
On May 7, 2022, National Scrapbook Day will be celebrated around the world, with an entire day dedicated to the art of scrapbooking. The company Creative Memories started this special event back in 1994. Since then, it has become an annual celebration for everything scrapbook-related. On this day, scrappers can get together and celebrate their love for this craft through crop parties - whether in-person or online.
When Is National ScrapbookDay?
The first Saturday in May is National Scrapbook Day! This year, we are celebrating this special day on May 7.
On this special occasion, avid scrapbookers can get together and share their creativity through scrapbook projects that are often adorned with photos of family and friends, keepsakes, and other embellishments. It’s a fantastic way for different generations to get together and create fond memories.
What Is a Scrapbook?
A scrapbook is a book or an album with blank pages where you can stick photos, magazine or newspaper clippings, drawings, old ticket stubs, and other mementos. It also often includes handwritten journaling and stamped titles or words.
Learn more about the history of scrapbook and scrapbooking techniques here!
How to Observe National Scrapbook Day 2022
Scrapbooking has been around since the 15th century. It is often done at home by those who want a more personalized way to share and document their precious memories. If you have been scrapbooking for some time, you’ll be more familiar with a few of the basic scrapbook techniques such as stamping, paper piecing, framing, peekaboo, adding stickers, paper punching, etc.
What better way to celebrate International Scrapbooking Day than to attend some fun crop events, invite a few crafty friends over, or join various scrapbook challenges by your favorite creators or companies.
Are you ready to celebrate National Scrapbook Day 2022? This year, scrapbookers everywhere are encouraged to try some new scrapbooking techniques or revisit old ones. Here are 14 of the best ones!
1. Mix and match scrapbook paper on your layout. Paper is everything when it comes to scrapbooking. From plain 12x12 cardstock to colorful patterned paper packs, using a wide variety of paper and cardstock can elevate your scrapbook page. Nathalie shared a few tips on how to mix and match her scrapbook paper collections beautifully and cohesively. Find out how to do this easy scrapbooking technique here.
5. Bold and bright. If you’re having trouble scrapping a masculine or neutral layout with your floral stamps, Amanda has a few tips and tricks for you! Check out some of them here:
- Keep it simple by using only one flower design (something not as detailed or frilly)
- Keep the same color scheme.
- Build up texture and add layers - these will instantly capture visual attention.
- Less is always more!
- Add a contrasting or striking detail or even a punchy title to break further away from the delicacy of the florals being featured.
6. Use stickers! Embellishing a scrapbook page might seem like the fun and easy part, but there is a method to it. You don’t want to just jampack the page with random stickers and decorations. Reiko offered another simple scrapbooking technique using just four supplies! And she created her page in under 30 minutes too. Check it out HERE.
7. Add texture. The last thing you want your scrapbook layout to be is flat and boring. Adding texture, color, and dimension using different products will definitely make even the simplest layouts pop! Nathalie added texture to her memory-keeping page by using a few dies and a 3D embossing folder. Read more about it HERE.
8. Make it 3D! The quickest way to turn your scrapbooking page from zero to a hundred is by utilizing three-dimensional elements. Lucky for you, Reiko’s cute 6x6 scrapbook layout will show you how to do just that!
9. Create a pattern. If framing, embossing, and die-cutting aren’t your cup of tea, you can do something out of the box by creating your own pattern or design! This is probably one of the easiest scrapbooking techniques you can try. All you’ll need is your favorite geometric stamp set and a few ink colors. Learn how to achieve this look in this project inspiration by Flora.
10. Stitch it up! The best thing about crafting is that you can mix and match products and utilize various techniques - even ones that aren’t typically used in your chosen craft. For instance, have you tried adding stitches to your scrapbook layout? Yes, stitches! Ashley shared how to do this fun and simple scrapbooking technique using the Halftone Circles Stamp Set and hand-stitching. Give it a try!
11. Add a twist with buttons. Whether it’s regular clothing buttons you have lying around your home or special scrapbooking buttons, these tiny embellishments can help draw the eyes to a specific area or element on your page. Make sure to follow two rules when adding buttons to your layout, though: less is more and follow the rule of thirds! Flora has a fun rainbow layout decorated with epoxy buttons that you can easily recreate HERE.
12. Big and bold text. While photos and mementos are usually the focal points of scrapbook pages, there is another quick and simple scrapbooking technique that you must try. Use big and bold letters for your page’s title! Ashley’s scrapbook title was fussy cut out of patterned paper, but you can also use any alphabet dies or word dies in your stash.
13. Make a collage. Creating a collage background is a go-to for most crafters. This scrapbook technique is so easy, anyone can do it! In her scrapbook page, Patricia took her collage to the next level by cutting out the shapes in various sizes and arranging them to create a fun abstract background.
14. Make it shine! There are different scrapbooking techniques that can help you add some shine and shimmer to your scrapbook layout - heat embossing, hot foiling, using glitters or sequins, etc. If you want to get even more creative, try doing some watercolor washes using Metallic Watercolors and die cut shapes out of it! You can even paint your own shapes or designs if you don’t feel like die-cutting. Check out the video below to see how Lilith created her scrapbook layout.
Happy National Scrapbook Day!
National Scrapbook Day 2022 or International Scrapbook Day (whatever you want to call it!) is the perfect time to try some new scrapbooking techniques. These 14 scrapbook ideas are simple enough for beginners but can also be tweaked to make them more challenging for experienced scrappers. So get out your crafting supplies and have fun with your scrapbook pages today! If you’re still in need of inspiration and ideas, drop by our All About Crafting page.