Friendship is a special bond that we all share. On July 30th, we celebrate the International Day of Friendship to recognize the importance of friendship in our lives. Why not make a handmade card or two to show your friends how much you appreciate them? Whether you simply want to say “I miss you” or tell them what their friendship means, these friendship-themed products and card ideas are perfect for you!
What is the International Day of Friendship?
The International Day of Friendship is a special holiday celebrated worldwide on July 30. The UN General Assembly declared this day as an international event where people from all over the globe come together to celebrate their friendships. This is done with hopes that these relationships will inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities worldwide!
This day helps us remember that peace can only thrive when there is an understanding between cultures and individuals. We are all connected by our shared humanity which makes it possible for anyone from anywhere in this world to form friendships with someone else regardless of the language they speak and their beliefs.
When is the International Day of Friendship?
The International Day of Friendship is celebrated on the 30th of July every year. To celebrate International Day of Friendship 2022, we are sharing a few of our friendship-themed stamps and other products to kickstart your creativity and help you create cards for your precious friends.
History of International Friendship Day
In 1997, the UN General Assembly adopted the International Day of Friendship as an initiative after UNESCO proposed the Culture of Peace as “a set of values, attitudes, and behaviors that reject violence and endeavor to prevent conflicts by addressing their root causes to solve problems.”
In 2011, International Friendship Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly with the idea that “friendship between peoples, countries, cultures, and individuals can inspire peace efforts and build bridges between communities.” In addition, this day emphasizes “involving young people, as future leaders, in community activities that include different cultures and promote international understanding and respect for diversity.” (Source)
How to celebrate the International Day of Friendship
Happy International Day of Friendship! What better way to celebrate than by making some cards for your friends? This roundup of friendship-themed products and card ideas has something for everyone, so you can show your friends how much you care (and how creative you are!). There's something for everyone here - from simple designs that anyone can make to more complex cards that might take a little more time and effort (but are totally worth it!). Let’s get started!
1. Dearest Friend Stamp Set - If you’re looking for the perfect stamp set to celebrate friendships - this is it! True friends are a blessing, and this stamp set was designed to honor that relationship. It has two beautiful flower arrangements, along with a few leaves and heartwarming sentiments to create the perfect card or DIY gift for your friend. And it does have the sentiment “Happy Friendship Day,” so we’re not kidding when we say it is THE perfect friendship stamp set to celebrate this day!
Card Idea: The flower arrangement in this dear stamp set is already pretty stamped as-is and colored in with your favorite coloring medium. Stamp the image at the center, use it as a border, or stamp just a part of it.
2. Thank You for Being My Friend Die Set - Want to send a sweet note of appreciation to a friend? This sentiment die set is perfect as a centerpiece on any project. It is sized to perfectly fit a standard-sized card in both vertical and horizontal orientations. The set creates the phrase "thank you for being my friend" when assembled, but you can skip the banner piece and only use the "thank you friend" part. This way, you can fill the space underneath with a personalized thank you message.
Card Idea: Both phrases have a shadow die that cuts around them with a bit of an extra border so you can help the sentiments pop against busy backgrounds or just make them extra-dimensional - just like Lilith did in her card above!
3. One Friend Stamp Set - Are you on the lookout for the best and most meaningful friend-themed stamp set? This sentimental mini stamp set will help you thank your friends for changing your life! The meaningful words will make anyone smile and recognize their importance in your world. It is accompanied by a row of hearts to add that perfect little touch to your handcrafted projects - whether it's a card, a scrapbook page, an art journal, or any DIY papercrafts.
Card Idea: Use the stamp as a thoughtful sentiment or as a focal point! The versatile look and typography will go well with florals, geometric, nature, and other themes.
4. Hello Friend Stamp Set - Hola, Salam, Ciao, and Hello – how many ways can you say hello to a friend? This diverse stamp set features a mix of greetings and sentiments. The four main circles contain different "hello" salutations in Italian, Spanish, English, and Arabic - perfect for international crafters!
Card Idea: Cut out the circles using colored cardstock or heat emboss them for an added shine!
5. Our Friendship Blooms Stamp Set - This stunning bouquet, featuring a beautiful array of flowers and leaves, can be stamped with or without the coordinating layers. The floral bouquet consists of a blooming lily, cherry blossom flowers, and a lovely rosebud.
Card Idea: The image in this set would look gorgeous by itself on a handmade card or paired with a jar or vase stamp. Customize the look with your favorite ink colors or with any other coloring medium from your stash. The friendship-themed sentiments will be just the thing to finish off your beautiful card.
6. Friends Forever Stamp Set - Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget! This specially designed stamp set is all about honoring friendship. It can be used in card making, journaling, and scrapbooking. You have the choice to decorate your cards with the various heartfelt sentiments as well as the fun images in the set. You can also utilize the smaller elements to decorate the center of the coffee cup. As for the straw elements, you can insert both straw stamps or either one on its own to create a lovely realistic straw design for your project.
Card Idea: Use patterned paper to add color and interest to the coffee cups! Easy peasy!
7. Shades of Friendship Stamp Set - Let your friends know how much you appreciate them through this set! This stamp set has a beautiful halftone hexagon pattern that can be used to create backgrounds for any paper crafting project of your choice. It also has a simple quote about the importance of friendship. Use it to create cards, scrapbooks, journals, or DIY gifts for friends, especially on International Day of Friendship 2022!
Project Idea: In Amanda’s scrapbook layout, she stamped she used the halftone hexagon pattern to add texture to her background. This is a super fun idea that you can also try on your card projects.
8. Crafty Friends Add-On Stamp Set - If you have our popular Crafty Friends Stamp Set, you’ll love this mini add-on set! It was created to be the perfect complement to its larger (6" x 8") sister, featuring four fun sentiments for the most creative people in your life - your crafty friends! The trendy fonts make it a lovely companion to the Crafty Friends Stamp Set. That being said, it is also a fantastic stand-alone set!
Card Ideas: Pair these fun sentiments with any craft-themed stamps and dies, just like Annemarie did in her above card. You can add the "crafty friends stick together" sentiment to the outside of a card, then stamp "(because of all the glue)" on the inside. Your crafty friend is sure to love the pun!
9. Crafty Friends Enamel Pin - If you’re not up for card making or scrapbooking, here’s a gift idea for you! Celebrate International Day of Friendship 2022 by gifting your friends with these adorable enamel pins. Keep one pin for yourself and give the other to your crafty bestie! The two pins interlock to form a heart with a pair of scissors and a banner to declare your status as "crafty friends.”
10. Feathered Friends Die Set - This set of lovely and serene flying birds may not seem like an obvious choice for your friend-themed cards. But it’s more versatile than you think! The embossed details and delicate cuts make these feathery friends pop. If you want a more dimensional look, you can fold the feathers to make the designs almost fly off the paper. The three curated sizes will cover your needs for any type of project and help symbolize you and your group of friends. As the saying goes, “birds of a feather…”
Card Idea: In Karen’s card, she brilliantly die-cut the birds using different colored cardstock! You can do the same or take it to the next level by cutting them out of gradient or glitter cardstock.
11. Best Buds Stamp Set - Do you have a best bud? Our friends are important in our lives and are there when we need them most. Honor your best bud this International Friendship Day by making them a card with this stamp set, featuring gorgeous images of flower buds and meaningful sentiments. The name of this stamp set is a fun pun playing on the double meaning of the word "bud." Combine your love of florals and affection for your bestie with this set's beautiful budding flowers and friendly sentiments.
Card Idea: These buds are awesome stamped as-is or colored in with alcohol markers. Erum added a lovely stonewall stencil to make the buds pop out more.
12. Crafty Life Stamp Set - Designed for paper crafters like you, this friend-themed stamp set is packed with fun phrases and sentiments in a trendy mix of fonts, a cute envelope, and a cluster of hearts. This set is perfect for creating cards for the crafty friends in your life or documenting your crafty moments for your scrapbook layouts.
Card Idea: Stamp the sentiment repeatedly for a quick background or use it as a focal point along with your favorite stencils - just like Jenny did in her card above.
13. Crystal Frames Stamp Set - This stamp set features five frames in the form of interlocking geometric shapes. These are great for framing sentiments or for highlighting a portion of a background image. You may emboss them for a clean and modern look or watercolor them for a soft, mellow look. In addition, the set includes nine beautiful sentiments that are great for sending a card to friends and loved ones.
Card Idea: For a clean and simple look, you can simply emboss the frame in gold or silver and stamp the sentiment in black. If you want to add texture to the background, you can ink blend, use a stencil, or dry-emboss it!
14. Linear Life: Daydreams Stamp Set - What would life be without friends? Do you ever daydream about them when they're not around? This set will surely enhance your projects with its elegant and stylish work of art. Our designer used simple line drawings reminiscent of modern line art to create a trio of daydreaming friends. It includes thought bubbles and six sweet sentiments to create a warm scene among friends.
Card Idea: Add colors with your fave medium or use the coordinating coloring stencil to bring the images to life instantly. In her card above, Tenia added a washi tape, some enamel dots, and a die-cut sentiment! The images in this set will look great against an ink blended or 3D embossed background. You may also stamp them repeatedly in a background (or gold-emboss them!) like LauraJane's card below.
Do you have friends who love to travel or friends from another city, country, or continent? We’ve curated this list of travel-themed stamps that you can combine with other friendship-themed products to excite your adventurous friends!
15. World Map Stamp Set - Send thank you cards to friends from around the globe or tell them how much you miss them with this versatile stamp set!
Card Ideas: Virginia’s card featured another must-have friend-themed stamp - A Little Bit of Love! She specifically created this card for friends who live far away. You can also stamp the World Map image in the rainbow colors for a fun twist, just like Laurie did in her CAS card.
16. Enjoy Your Journey Stamp Set - A mountain with a bridge and tunnels, a train atop a railroad with billowing smoke, a camera, and a vintage-style travel suitcase! This stamp set is the perfect way to invite a friend to go on an adventure with you.
Card Idea: With the gorgeous images and sweet sentiments in this stamp set, all you’ll need is an interesting background! Kelly used the Dreamy Sunset Paper Pack to make the train image pop; we adore her card so much!
17. Camp Life Stamp Set - Invite your camper friends on another thrilling camping trip with this unique set! This stamp set brings the camp scene to life with a tent, sleeping bag, lantern, fire pit, fishing pole, thermos, folding chair, backpack, and scenic rock images.
Card Idea: Clean, simple, and thoughtful! Norine stamped the images and simply colored them with alcohol markers. You can create a full camping scene by using all the images on the set too!
18. Travel Boots Stamp Set - These awesome boots can be used for cards addressed to both guys and girls. The sentiment in this set will add a perfect touch of motivation and adventure to your projects.
Card Idea: Jenny’s card is simply beautiful! We love how she colored in the boots and made them look so real! Another fun idea is to use the spotlight technique - stamp some boots in black and some in your favorite colors. You can create a fabulous background using your favorite stencil, patterned paper, or blending ink.
19. Seas the Day Stamp Set - Wish a friend “bon voyage” with this one-of-a-kind stamp set! You can almost smell the sea air on the beach with these stamps! This stamp set features a beautiful lighthouse on a cliff and a pretty sailboat. Do you have friends who are aspiring sailors? They will love the sweet images depicted in the picturesque scene, including water lapping at the shore, cute pelicans scattered around the island, and a little girl looking out wistfully into the distance!
Card Idea: The outline images in this set are so much fun to color in with alcohol markers or watercolors! You can easily create a breathtaking scene with minimal effort, just like Erin did in her card above.
20. New York Stamp Set - Got a friend in the city that never sleeps? Or perhaps someone who’s traveling there soon? Celebrate International Day of Friendship by creating a card just for them! With the beautiful watercolor skyline image of New York and the iconic Statue of Liberty in this stamp set, any project is worthy of being framed!
Project Ideas: Stamp the image in black, prop it up against a lovely patterned paper, frame it, and voila! You’ve got an instant DIY gift for a friend just like Sveta’s project above. Check out Svitlana’s card ideas or Lydia’s card below to get you inspired.
21. Magical Memories Stamp Set - Life is meant for good friends & great adventures! Send magical memories to your friends on International Friendship Day using this fantasy-filled stamp set. With this set, you could make holiday getaway cards, party invitations, book club notes, or layouts celebrating travel memories with friends and family.
Card Idea: Use a dark cardstock to create the illusion of a night sky and add some ink splatters to recreate stars! We love how Keren added a piece of vellum for some texture and interest.
Happy International Day of Friendship!
“You start out by making beautiful friendships online, then someday you meet these friends in person, and they are just as kind and genuine as you have thought them to be. This has been my experience as part of this beautiful (crafting) community. I am grateful for all the wonderful individuals whom I have met through our mutual love of paper crafting, and I look forward to meeting more of you in the years to come!” - Tasnim Ahmed, Altenew President.
Making cards for your friends is an excellent way to celebrate International Friendship Day 2022. At Altenew, we love honoring and celebrating our crafty friends through beautiful, unique, and versatile products. We hope these friend-themed stamps, dies, and more help you show how much you appreciate them. Whether you want something simple or more elaborate, these card designs will definitely jumpstart your creativity.