There is a cornucopia of easy arts and crafts ideas out there, from handmade cards and handmade scrapbooks to DIY home decor and photo albums. If you are a beginner, it might be overwhelming trying to figure out which one is the easiest. The good news is, you don’t need to be an expert to get started on any kind of crafting project. With just a few crafting supplies and some inspiration, you can begin your crafting journey today!
So many crafts, so little time!
It is undeniable that the abundance of arts and crafts ideas can stump even the best crafters. Just a quick look through Instagram and Pinterest will make your head spin. If you want to try crafting as a hobby or a stress-reliever, make sure that you stick to something that piques your interest. Don’t force yourself to like something just because it’s trending and popular.
It’s also essential to spare at least 30 minutes every day or a couple of hours every week for your crafting session. Even if it’s just a simple way for you to destress, crafting can help improve your mental and emotional health in the long run. In fact, according to Healthline, it can “help reduce anxiety, improve mood, and increase happiness.” To help you decide which one suits you best, we’ve compiled a few recommendations here that you can give a try.
If you’re looking for easy arts and crafts to make at home, then keep on reading!
Creating handmade cards is one of the simplest and easiest arts and crafts to try at home. If you already have a few supplies or a cardmaking kit, you can easily create personalized cards in under 5 minutes. There are a variety of card designs and styles that you can try even as a beginner. You can go for clean and simple cards or colorful and layered ones.
Here are a few crafting supplies that you will need to get started on your cardmaking journey:
Paper (colored paper or patterned paper)
Scissors or trimmers
Adhesives (liquid glue, foam tape, double-sided tape, glue tape)
Inks (dye inks, pigment inks)
Don’t worry if you cannot get all the essential supplies at first. Remember, it’s necessary to give it a shot first and make sure that cardmaking is really for you. You don’t want to invest in these supplies and realize that you don’t enjoy creating handmade cards. If you are unsure which stamps, dies, papers, or inks to get, you can opt for a cardmaking kit. This has all the essential tools and supplies that you’ll need, plus a very nifty inspiration guide with step-by-step instructions!
Here are a few cardmaking ideas that you can try at home!
- Birthday Cards - This gender-neutral birthday card is quick, clean, and super simple. Aside from a cardstock, you only need a couple of stamps, a die set, and a few dye inks!
- Holiday Cards - There is an abundance of holiday card ideas available online. This blog post showcases 18 of the best and most creative holiday card ideas that you must try! If you want to whip up something quickly, this holiday cardmaking kit is a great option as well.
- Just Because Cards - Who says you need a reason, an event, or an occasion to send someone a card? The beauty of creating customized cards is that you can personalize the sentiments and messages in them. Check out how our design team member, Laurie, made three different but fabulous “just because” cards in this blog post.
In this day and age, most people don’t print out photographs anymore. Why would they when they could just post it on social media instead? Surprisingly, though, the scrapbooking industry was still gaining popularity since its peak back in 2004. Creating handmade scrapbooks is not just popular among middle-aged or retired women; it has also attracted millennials’ attention and even a few from generation Z.
Similar to personalized cards, making your own scrapbook doesn’t require you to be a crafting expert. You also don’t need a lot of crafting materials. If you already have some cardstock, Artist Markers, patterned papers, and other papercrafting tools, you can start scrapbooking today!
To help spark your creativity, here are a few scrapbooking tips and tricks to remember:
1. Less is more! Although it’s fun to pack your scrapbook page with as many embellishments as you want, it’s still better to keep it clean and simple at first. For beginners, you might want to stick to a few elements and make sure the layout is well-balanced.
2. When in doubt… go with florals! Who doesn’t love flowers? Flowers are beautiful and timeless. While most will say they’re too feminine, we disagree! Altenew has a few gender-neutral floral stamp sets that you can use for your cards, scrapbooks, or other crafting projects. This blog post shows how a few colorful floral stamps and dies can bring life to a simple black and white photo! Check out Altenew’s wide range of floral stamps and dies here to get more project inspiration.
3. Create your own embellishments! The only con of scrapbooking is that you’ll run out of embellishments such as ephemera, stickers, die-cuts, etc., more often than when you do other arts and crafts. That shouldn’t stop you from making your own DIY scrapbook, though. This blog post by our design team member, Lilith, shows that you can always create your own embellishments using a few crafting supplies that you have at home.
DIY Home Decor
Your home is a special place where you can let your creativity shine and express yourself. What’s a better way to do that than to create your own home decor? Another fun and easy art and craft to make at home is DIY home decor. As long as you have a few materials and supplies at home, you can quickly and easily create any kind of home decor.
These DIY home decor ideas will surely inspire you to start creating today!
Create themed decors for various holidays and celebrations such as
Repurpose or decorate simple stuff around you, such as:
Decorate everyday things, surfaces, and spaces around your home, such as:
- Alarm clock
- Cabinets and drawers
- Trolley or cart
Decals and washi tapes are great for decorating any surface. They’re super easy to use and are cost-efficient as well. This blog post has many ideas on how you can use decals to add some pizazz to your humble abode.
Another quick and easy craft that you can make at home or with your family is DIY tags! It can be gift tags, door tags, or bag tags. You can also take it to the next level and create a customized bookmark. They’re not just fun to create; they’re also perfect gift ideas. This tag die set from Altenew will make creating DIY tags a piece of cake! If you’re looking for inspiration on how to decorate your tags, check out this blog post.
DIY Mini Album
If a handmade scrapbook is too much work for you, you can always start with a simple photo album. It doesn’t even need to be a full-sized photo album! You can start small by creating a DIY mini album! If you have some colored papers, cardstock, and a few crafting supplies lying around, you can quickly get started. For instance, this cute DIY mini album was created using just a few 12” x 12” patterned paper!
Check out these mini album ideas from our design team!
- Envelope mini album
- Friendship mini album
- Denim mini album
- Christmas album
- Baby mini album
- 3D pop-up album
Creating arts and crafts doesn’t need to be tedious or time-consuming! With these easy crafting ideas, you can have fun while killing time. It’s also a fantastic way to spend some “me time” or to bond with your family and friends.