Last Updated: December 29, 2021
DIY wedding cards are all the rage these days - thanks to the popularity of Pinterest and Instagram. In this day and age, it’s easier to simply order a wedding gift online, have it gift-wrapped, and delivered straight to your door. However, if you have multiple wedding invitations left and right, it could get pricey if you keep on buying wedding gifts. Here’s a fantastic idea - try creating handmade wedding cards!
Not only are you saving money, but you’re also adding a personal touch to your special DIY gift! The time and effort that you’ve spent on your handmade card, and the thought that went into it, will be greatly appreciated by the bride and groom. The cherry on top of the (wedding) cake? These wedding card ideas can be recreated on any kind of handmade card - from thank you cards to holiday cards to Valentine’s Day cards!
Even if you don’t have a crafty bone in your body, we can help you whip up beautiful, elegant, and easy handmade wedding cards in no time! We’re answering some of your burning questions about how to make a wedding card, including some tips and hacks!
How Can I Make a Greeting Card for a Wedding Card?
Whether you’re a frequent wedding guest who wants to create a personalized DIY gift or a bride looking to cut costs on wedding invitations, these quick and easy ideas will help you get your craft on! Here are some tips on how to add wedding card sayings to your handmade cards.
1. Use Alphabet Dies - Alphabet Dies are your go-to when it comes to quick and easy handmade projects. If you want to invest in a few crafting supplies, these should be on top of your list. With these dies, you can easily spell out words, phrases, and even quotes! Not only are Alphabet Dies easy to use, but they are also quite versatile as well so you can use them in a wide range of paper crafting projects and even DIY home decor.
In the video below, Therese shows how to use the Bold Alphabet Dies to pop up a lovely “Mr. and Mrs.” sentiment onto DIY wedding cards!
2. Use Wedding-Themed Sentiments - If you want something relatively quicker and easier than dies, try sentiment stamps! With wedding-themed stamp sets, you don’t need to rack your brains for excellent and catchy wedding card sayings that you can stamp onto your handmade cards. Here are some stamp sets with wedding-themed sentiments:
- Celebrations Stamp Set
- Fresh Cut Roses Stamp Set
- Bride-to-Be Stamp Set - This set has excellent sentiments if you’re a bride-to-be who wants to create your wedding invitations and thank you cards.
3. Make Your Own Sentiments - Take personalization to the next level by mixing and matching various sentiments from a few stamp sets. If custom wedding sentiments aren’t your thing, you can easily create your unique sentiment or wedding card sayings. Here are some sentiment stamp sets that you can use:
- Sentiments & Quotes Stamp Set
- Halftone Happy Stamp Set
- Build-A-Flower: Daffodil Stamp Set
- Sentiment Strips Stamp Set
- Sentiment Strips 2 Stamp Set
How Can I Make a Happy Wedding Card?
A wedding is one of the happiest days in a person’s life, whether they’re the bride, the groom, or the family and friends. To make a wedding card that screams “I’m happy for you!” you’ll need to add fun and vibrant colors, beautiful designs and patterns, and lots of shiny and shimmery stuff!
Here are a few paper crafting supplies to help you make incredibly creative handmade wedding cards!
- Colored and Patterned Paper - With colored and patterned paper, you can add an instant pop of color to your cards.
- Glitter Cardstock - Like colored cardstock, these will surely add a WOW factor to your DIY cards.
- Sequins - Sequins are one of the most versatile tools that you can have in your crafting arsenal. You can spell out words with it, create designs, or simply use them to adorn your wedding card.
- Washi Tapes - Floral and gold-foiled washi tapes are readily available so you can create quick and easy backgrounds and decorations on your cards.
- Wax Seals - Nothing screams fancy and inexpensive than wax seals! You can use them to seal your wedding invitations or add exquisite details to your DIY cards!
Is It Cheaper to Make Your Own Wedding Invitations?
Definitely! Creating your own wedding invitations isn’t just about saving money; it’s about adding a little bit of TLC onto your homemade wedding card and making it your own. When you look back on your wedding day and see your personalized wedding invitations, it will most definitely put a smile on your face and make you feel proud.
Here are some easy wedding card ideas that you can try on your invitations!
1. You can create clean and simple wedding invitations using just one stamp and die set. The set doesn’t even need to be wedding-themed! In this blog post, Virginia showcases the beauty and versatility of the Book Club Stamp and Die Set, which she used to decorate her daughter’s wedding programs! The minimalist vibe of the gate-fold style wedding invitation coupled with the elegant rose gold-embossed floral stamp image made it so stunning!
2. If you’re running out of time and can’t be bothered to look for the perfect stamps and dies for your wedding invitations, try a complete wedding card kit!
What is included in this kit? Everything you need to create easily customizable wedding stationery for your quick and easy invitations!
- Painted Flowers Stamp Set - One of our most popular floral stamp sets!
- One medium-sized clear stamping block
- 50 A2 size notecards
- 50 5” x 7” notecards
- 50 white envelopes 7.5” x 5.5" & 50 vellum envelopes 7.25” x 5.25"
- 8 small ink pads in various colors
- Various layout ideas are provided for wedding card ideas and inspiration.
3. How can I make cheap wedding invitations look expensive? Buckle up! We’re about to blow your mind with some fun and exciting hacks to make cheap wedding invitations look classy and expensive! Here are six crafting supplies and techniques that can help you achieve your homemade wedding card goals!
a. Vellum - In this blog post, Sveta stamped a couple of beautiful magnolia flowers onto a piece of vellum translucent paper, then white heat-embossed them. Simple, quick, and easy! She then popped the vellum on a piece of Cherry Wood paper for some added texture.
b. Florals - What’s something that can quickly elevate a plain design? Flowers, of course! There’s a wide selection of floral stamps available online, so you don’t have to limit yourself to roses, tulips, or chrysanthemums! Click here to see a beautiful example of a handmade card that you can easily recreate.
c. Gold Embossing - No matter how plain your handmade wedding cards are, you can always kick it up a notch by heat-embossing the images. Embossing powders are relatively inexpensive and can go a long way, so it’s always handy to have them. If you want your designs to exude elegance, you can use embossing powders with a touch of gold (white gold, rose gold, metallic gold, etc.).
Watch the video tutorial below to see how Therese added lovely gold accents on her handmade card!
d. Specialty Paper - Using the correct type of paper is equally important if you want to create an eye-catching wedding card or wedding invitation. This blog post showcases another fabulous card inspiration using white woodgrain paper! Here are some unique papers that you can try:
- Birch Wood
- Gold Foil
- Gold Mirror
- Spicy Yogurt
- Woodgrain Bark
- Woodgrain Powder
- Woodgrain White
Celebrations Stamping Kit
e. Embossed and Debossed Background - One of the simplest and easiest wedding card ideas you can try (even as a beginner) is dry embossing. There is a wide range of 3D embossing folders available out there, along with faux letterpress ones. This is another effective way to make those clean and simple cards stand out.
f. Sequins - If glitter or embossing powder isn’t your thing, you can still make your homemade wedding card sparkle and shine! Try using sequins! These are inexpensive, beginner-friendly, and can be reused on other handmade projects!
Weddings are notorious for being stressful events, not just for the main people involved but also for the guests. It shouldn’t be that way! With a few paper crafting supplies, time, effort, and a little bit of creativity, you can easily avoid that unnecessary stress. The tips and ideas we’ve provided here can help you create DIY wedding cards quickly and easily, so you’ll never have to spend too much time and money on wedding gifts ever again!
In This Article
More Crafty Reads & Inspirations
Acrylic Markers vs Alcohol Markers: Which Gives the Best Results?
10 Small Craft Room Ideas and Tips to Make Your Space Look Bigger
8 Ways to Use Paint-by-Number Sheets in Your Paper Crafts!
Creative Hot Foiling Ideas with NEW Hot Foil Rolls
11 Creative Card Ideas with Craft Gems
Get Creative with Altenew's Sweet Jasmine 5-in-1 Bundle - A Must-Have!
10 Tips and Tricks on How to Master Your Craft Knife!
14 Easy Valentine's Day Card Ideas You Can Make in Minutes!
How to Use Gems in Card Making (12 Easy Ideas!)
Crafting Essentials: Finding the Perfect Craft Knife for Card Making