If you're a bookworm, then you know the importance of a good and unique bookmark! Not only do they keep your place so you can pick up right where you left off, but they also make reading that much more enjoyable. But why settle for a boring store-bought bookmark when you can make your own?
If you're looking for a fun and creative way to spruce up your book-reading experience, look no further than these five DIY bookmark ideas! With just a little bit of time and effort, you can create personalized bookmarks that are truly one-of-a-kind. So grab your crafting supplies, and let's get started!
5 Fun Ideas for Homemade Bookmarks
You can never have enough bookmarks! If you’re always on the lookout for new and creative ways to keep your place in books and love finding pretty things to stick between the pages - then you’re in for a treat! Here are five fun and creative ideas for DIY bookmarks that you can make at home.
DIY Bookmark Idea #1: Washi Tape Bookmarks
- Start by creating a base for your homemade bookmark using white cardstock. You can cut it to a regular-sized bookmark, make it longer, shorter, or wider - it’s up to you.
- Cut a strip of washi tape that can cover your white cardstock - both front and back.
- Next, cut the strip into whatever shape you desire—little triangles or hearts. You can also keep it rectangular.
- Voila! You've now made a cute and unique bookmark that will brighten up your reading experience.
- You can go the extra mile and punch a hole in one end of the bookmark and tie a ribbon or twine around it.
Peaceful Reverie Stamp Set
DIY Bookmark Idea #2: Button Bookmarks
For this next cute bookmark idea, you'll need some buttons, thread, embroidery floss, and a needle.
- Start by threading your needle with a 6-inch length of thread.
- Then, string your button onto the thread and tie a knot below the button to secure it in place.
- Next, take your embroidery floss and tie a loop around the button—this will be what attaches your bookmark to your book pages.
- To finish things off, snip off any excess thread or floss.
- That's it! You've now made a colorful and fun handmade bookmark that's perfect for kids or anyone who loves bright and cheerful designs.
DIY Bookmark Idea #3: Fabric Bookmarks
This next idea is perfect for anyone who loves sewing or working with fabric. For this unique bookmark idea, you'll need some fabric scraps, ribbon, needle and thread, scissors, and an iron.
- Start by cutting two pieces of fabric into rectangles that are approximately 2-3 inches wide and 6-8 inches long.
- Then, use an iron to press down ½ inch hems on all four sides of each rectangle.
- Next, sew the two rectangles together along three sides—leaving one end open so that you can turn the fabric right side out.
- Once you've turned the fabric right side out, use an iron to press down ¼ inch seams along the open end.
- Finally, insert some ribbon into the open end and sew it shut using a ladder stitch.
- That's it! You've now made a beautiful fabric bookmark that's both practical and decorative.
DIY Bookmark Idea # 4: Ribbon Bookmark
This one is similar to the washi tape bookmark, but it uses ribbon instead.
- Cut a strip of ribbon that's about 2 inches wide and long enough to wrap around your book.
- Stick the ribbon onto the front cover of your book, starting at the spine.
- Trim away any excess ribbon, then enjoy your new handmade bookmark!
DIY Bookmark Idea # 5: Vellum Overlay Bookmark
This cute bookmark idea is a fun way to practice some card making techniques. Here’s how Michelle created her handmade bookmark.
- Take a panel of Vellum Translucent Paper and stamp the quote from Tall Tale Stamp Set on top using Embossing Ink.
- Apply Pure White Crisp Embossing Powder and heat set with a heat tool.
- Once the powder completely melts, cool the panel down and then set it under some blocks to flatten it.
- To create the background layer, stamp the floral image from In the Woodland Stamp Set onto Classic Crest Solar White Cardstock with Embossing Ink.
- Apply Crystal Clear Crisp Embossing Powder and heat set.
- Cut the panel into a bookmark using the Terrific Tag Dies.
- Using Small Ink Blending Tools, add color to the DIY bookmark. Take the Ultraviolet Crisp Dye Ink and blend it at the bottom of the bookmark first.
- Then, take Pinkalicious Crisp Dye Ink and blend it from the top downwards.
- Use Rubellite Crisp Dye Ink in the middle to blend the two inks together.
- Cut the vellum layer into a tag using the same die set.
- To add the vellum overlay to the homemade bookmark, place the vellum tag over the background tag and tie a baker's twine through the top to secure them together.
Make Your Own Bookmark Today!
If you're feeling crafty, why not make your own bookmark? DIY bookmarks are a great way to add a personal touch to your reading experience, and they also make excellent gifts for book lovers. Plus, they're usually quick and easy to make, so you can whip up a whole bunch in no time.
There you have it - five fun and cute bookmark ideas to try out the next time you're looking for a craft project! Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below. Happy crafting!