Scrapbooking ideas are like snowflakes - no two are alike. That's why we've collected over 20 of our favorite scrapbooking ideas in 2022 to help you get inspired for your next scrapbook project. Whether you're into simple, minimalist designs or prefer something a little more elaborate, we have something for you. So, get inspired and start scrapping those precious memories!
Best Scrapbooking Ideas in 2022
Scrapbooking is a fun way to keep your memories alive. When it comes to scrapbooking ideas, there’s an abundance of new trends and techniques every year! Whether you're starting out or a seasoned pro, we know you'll find something here to inspire you. Happy scrapping!
1. Add Texture to a Layout. There are different ways to add texture to a scrapbook layout. Some of them are a little messy (like embossing paste), and others are simpler and quicker (like embossing folders). One of the best scrapbooking ideas you can easily try is adding texture with 3D embossing folders - just like Lilith did in her layout above.
2. Customize Your Patterned Paper. Sometimes, you go through your paper stash and can’t seem to find something that sparks your creativity. This unique scrapbook layout idea by Lilith will help you think outside the box and create your own custom patterned paper using your fave stencils and inks!
3. Keep it Easy, But Make it Pretty! We definitely agree with Lilith’s motto when it comes to scrapbooking! For her scrapbook page, she opted to use just a couple of stamps and the vibrant Watercolor Brush Markers! Here’s how to recreate her simple watercolor scrapbook layout idea:
- Add the watercolor inks to a palette.
- Take a watercolor brush and paint the flowers. Start with a small half swirl and add swirls around it, making them larger as you work your way out. Lilith loosely copied the flower from the Watercolor Roses Stamp Set.
- Alternate the colors.
- For the leaves, mix Turquoise and Just Green.
- Add some splatters and leave to dry.
- Place the photo and pick sentiments for the title. Lilith’s sentiments came from the Golden Feather Stamp Set and Morning Flowers Stamp Set.
- Add embellishments.
4. Simple Washi Tape Layout. To keep things clean and simple, it’s important to use minimal craft supplies. Lilith’s fun and colorful scrapbook layout idea only utilized ONE washi tape, some enamel dots, and leftover embellishments. This is one of the best scrapbooking ideas for beginners!
- Pick one of the stamps from the Castle Garden Stamp Set and stamp it three times onto some white cardstock. Once in the corner and twice to create a backdrop for the photo.
- Add some color using watercolors and leave to dry.
- Add your photo. To make it stand out, mat it on some colored patterned paper or cardstock that matches your chosen color combo.
- Add strips of washi tape.
- Adhere all your elements and add your chosen embellishments. TIP! Chipboard pieces are a great way to add detail to a project.
- Finish off with some sentiment strips.
9. CAS Scrapbook Idea with Patterned Paper. Scrapbook patterned paper is a must-have in your stash. You can use these for a quick background or fussy-cut them to create an instant focal point - just like Maryam did in her gorgeous CAS scrapbook idea. Watch the video below to see how her layout came together.
10. Slim Washi Tapes. One of the best scrapbooking ideas for beginners is creating a quick and easy washi tape background. Altenew’s Slim Washi Tape Sets are excellent for creating fun, whimsical titles and quick scrapbook backgrounds.
11. Faux Watercolor Technique Using Pigment Inks. Nathalie just loved the versatility of pigment inks and how they can transform from a stamping medium to watercolor in seconds. Her memory-keeping journal features this must-try technique.
12. Repeated Background Stamping. Another quick scrapbooking idea for beginners is to do some repeated background stamping. Maryam’s fun and colorful scrapbook page features the Versatile Vases Stamp and Stencil Set.
13. Get Out Your Layering Stencils. Layering and coloring stencils are all the rage these days - and for good reason! With a layering stencil, you can easily create stunning and detailed images. Guest designer Annemarie stenciled and fussy cut lots of flowers and leaves from the Greenwood Flowers Layering Stencil Set, Rose Mellow Layering Stencil Set, and Hill Blossom Layering Stencil Set to put together the gorgeous floral wreath in her scrapbook page.
14. Simple Stamping. If you’re looking for the best scrapbooking idea for beginners, you can’t go wrong with some simple stamping. All you need is your favorite stamp set and inks, and you’re good to go! In Nathalie’s scrapbook layout idea, she chose the Mini Delight: Petite Reverie Stamp and Die Set because it showcases a lot of detail in such a small format. Never underestimate those detailed and small stamps - they’re perfect for a simple stamped background!
15. Mix and Match Paper Collections. If you’ve been scrapbooking for quite some time, you might have accumulated a decent paper collection. If you’re running out of scrapbook ideas, look through your scrapbook paper collection and mix and match them.
16. Wide Washi Tape Background. Creating a 12x12 scrapbook layout could get intimidating for beginners. How do you fill all that space?! Three words - wide washi tapes! Reiko used the Painted Dots Washi Tape which measures approximately 4.5" (114mm) wide and 32.8" (10m) long to create an instant background and added fussy-cut florals from a patterned paper. Easy as pie!
17. Simple Layered Flower Look. Adding layered elements to a scrapbook layout can turn it from zero to wow. Lilith’s colorful scrapbooking idea for beginners only used a few supplies to achieve that layered flower look. Here’s how to recreate her layout:
- Start by die-cutting various flower and leaf shapes from leftover pieces of cardstock and patterned paper using the Simple Nesting Flowers Layering Die Set.
- To create the background, create stripe patterns on an 8.5″ by 11″ white cardstock using Artist Alcohol Markers.
- Place a piece of embossed white cardstock and add the floral elements. Lilith constructed two clusters - one with yellow and orange tones to match the yellow of the Artist Markers and another with pink/blue tones.
- She opted to use a black and white photo as it will not clash with the other colors and will add contrast to the page.
18. Create a Custom Stencil Using a Die. Stretching your craft supplies is an excellent way to get different ideas for your scrapbook layout. In her scrapbook page, Lilith used her Mega Ampersand Die as a stencil to create a unique background for her layout. This scrapbooking idea for beginners is perfect for any stand-alone or cover die in your stash.
19. Scrapbook Layout with Gray Elements. Incorporating gray (and other neutral or muted colors) into your projects can add a touch of subtle elegance to them. Lilith creatively combined purple and gray in her stunning scrapbook layout above. You can always try this technique with other colors of your choice.
20.When In Doubt, Go Monochrome! Using a single color (monochromatic) might sound too simple for some, but it’s a great way to bring a project together in a short amount of time. While the term monochromatic refers to using a single color, it does not refer to just using a single shade of it. Nathalie perfectly showcased all the shades of pink in a bold way, with the help of Quaint Blooms Stamp/Die Bundle and Antique Gold Crisp Embossing Powder.
21. Frame Your Photos with 3D Florals. One of the best scrapbooking ideas under 10 minutes is using 3D floral layering dies to frame and decorate photos. The realistic-looking Peony Dream 3D die-cuts in Reiko’s 6x6 scrapbook layouts perfectly framed her adorable daughters’ photos!
22. Lovely Mandalas. Not a big fan of florals or geometric shapes? An intricate and sophisticated mandala design might be the thing missing from your scrapbook page! This design is versatile and gender-neutral, so it’s perfect for any type of scrapbooking project you have in mind. Watch Maryam’s video tutorial below to see how she utilized the Blooming Mandalas Stamp Set on her scrapbook page.
Try The Best Scrapbooking Ideas in 2022
So, if you're looking for some fun and easy scrapbooking ideas for beginners, look no further! We've gathered over 20 of the best scrapbooking ideas that are simple enough for anyone to try. And if you want even more inspiration, be sure to check out our other blog posts on scrapbooking. We promise that, with a little effort, you'll be able to document beautiful memories that will last a lifetime.